Monday, January 16, 2012

Pear Trees and Pub Quiz

In hopes of inspiring now-term and long term community,  I have been working on a few projects lately.  One has to do with pomes, and drupes, or seed fruit and stone fruit as they are more commonly known.  Pomes are apples and pears, while drupes are plums and cherries.  It just so happens that there is a beautiful bBarlett pear tree in the back yard of the apartment I live in.  In fact, the tree sits right in the middle of the chicken pen.  Last spring, it bloomed beautifully--probably because it is on the north side of the building, so it doesn't bloom too early and get frosted.  We had a bumper crop of pears ripening all summer long.  Finally, in September, the squirrels proceded to eat every last pear.  I have since learned that pears should be picked and stored for a few weeks to ripen, and I might have been able to save the crop from the squirrels.

But enough background.  My current project is going to involve pruning the neglected pear tree (though someone clearly cared for it once, long ago) and asking permission of the neighbor to prune his gigantic juniper so there won't be squirrel access.  I hope the chickens, who don't really let the squirrels around, will keep them off the tree for the most part.  We might actually get to eat some pears this year!  Furthermore, I am going to try to use the prunings to propagate the tree.  That part is an extra longshot though, so we'll see if it works.  I also have a plum tree that I transplanted from my grandparents garden, which grew from a stone.  I am curious to see if it makes it though the winter in it's pot on the screened front porch.

On another non garden front, I started a pub quiz.  That is the now term project.  Last night was the first ever Papa Joe's pub quiz, featuring questions such as: What is the name for all tree fruit with seeds rather than stones? (now you know!); what are the sports of the modern pentathlon?; what is the first name of "Butch" Otter, &c.  It was a hoot, and there were at least 30 people there, enough for six teams of five-six.  I think everyone had a good time, though I might have to throw a few more gimmies in the mix; the top score was 11 of 30.

It was really good to have a pub quiz like the one I used to go to in Europe. Working with friends to solve problems and answer trivia does a lot to build community.  You get to see the styles of argument, who is pushy and who retreats, who has what surprising fact tucked away in their brain from their unique life experience.  I look forward to more of these.

No comments: